FAQs | Converting From a Large to a Slim TOUGH GUN CA3 MIG Gun
Frequently Asked Questions About Converting to the TOUGH GUN CA3 MIG Gun from the Large TOUGH GUN CA3 MIG Gun
Tregaskiss has compiled a list of frequently asked questions about converting from the large style TOUGH GUN® CA3 robotic air-cooled MIG gun to the new slim style TOUGH GUN CA3 robotic air-cooled MIG gun model:
- Why did you decrease the size of the CA3 connector?
- How do I know if I have an old G1 connector, a large CA3 connector, or a new slim CA3 connector?
- With the decrease in the size of the TOUGH GUN CA3 robotic MIG guns, were any features gained or lost in the process?
- Did you have to make any modifications to the dual jacket when reducing the size of the TOUGH GUN CA3 robotic MIG gun?
- I have a mix of large and slim version TOUGH GUN CA3 guns in my facility. Will this cause any complexity in terms of stocking replaceable unicables or other parts?
- Can I convert my large TOUGH GUN CA3 Guns to the new slim design?
- Will any reprogramming be necessary when converting from the large TOUGH GUN CA3 MIG gun to the slim TOUGH GUN CA3 MIG gun?
- Can I use the existing TOUGH GUN I.C.E.® setup from my current TOUGH GUN G1 series robotic MIG gun when converting to a new TOUGH GUN CA3 robotic MIG gun?
- How do I order a replacement unicable for my large TOUGH GUN CA3 robotic MIG gun?
- How do I install the new replaceable unicable?
Some of our customers experienced issues in a small percentage of their robotic cells. The robotic cells affected had limited space which resulted in interference between the robot or tooling and the large TOUGH GUN® CA3 gun connector (body) and cable guide/strain relief. To ensure the continued satisfaction of our customers, we reacted promptly to address this issue by reducing the length and diameter of the gun connector and cable guide to produce a new slim version of the TOUGH GUN CA3 robotic gun.
The old G1 connector is silver (shown left) and the large and slim CA3 connectors are black (shown right).
The reduced length and diameter of the slim TOUGH GUN CA3 gun will allow access to tighter joints in hard to reach areas than its large CA3 predecessor. In order to reduce the diameter and length of the TOUGH GUN CA3 chassis, there was one compromise that had to be made. The clutch receptacle that was built into the side of the large CA3 chassis had to be relocated further back into a housing that is positioned to avoid interference with any tools or fixtures.
No, the unicable is exactly the same. The only part of the replaceable unicable that was modified was the cable guide that interfaces with the connector. It was reduced in both length and diameter (see images shown in Figure 1 above).
The only potential area of complexity is if you have large replaceable unicables already in stock. These large replaceable unicables will only work with the large TOUGH GUN CA3 guns. The newer slim replaceable unicables are compatible with both large and slim TOUGH GUN CA3 guns to help our customers keep complexity to a minimum.
Yes. Simply order the replaceable unicable kit when it comes time to replace the unicables on your large TOUGH GUN CA3 guns. This kit contains everything you need to convert your large CA3 to a slim CA3 gun.
Reprogramming should not be required unless you experienced interference issues with the large TOUGH GUN CA3 gun. TCP will be unaffected provided original mounting hardware (arm, mount clamp, insulating disc and neck) remains in place.
No, existing TOUGH GUN I.C.E. necks are NOT compatible with the large CA3 gun design. The most cost effective option is to upgrade your large TOUGH GUN CA3 gun to the slim CA3 gun which will allow you to use your existing TOUGH GUN I.C.E. setup.
Please use the replacement unicable numbers in your gun manual to order and receive a replacement unicable and adaptor.
Please follow the instructions supplied in the bag with your replaceable unicable.